27th August 1940

Heard today that the parents are determined to come home at the end of this week, so I must bow to the inevitable.

To Rose for supper. A cold windy day.

In a letter to Colchester's Mayor (Ald. Sanders), dated 27th August 1940, Eric provides more information on shelter provision for horses in Colchester during air raids:

... Further to our correspondence regarding shelters for horses, I see that a considerable number of stables, yards, etc. about the town are now labelled for that purpose. From what I hear, the provision of stabling has been much appreciated. I know that two or three horses have been in my places at Bourne Mill and Port Lane during several of the recent raid alarms. ... Mr. Watts tells me he has had quite a number in his place in Military Road.
I feel, though, that a great deal more must be done at the Hythe. I am told by an eye-witness that they had a very unpleasant time when the bombs fell just across the river last Monday. All the horses were in the open, and the drivers had to run out at once to prevent them from bolting, in spite of the fact that other bombs might have been falling. ...

For more information on Eric's battle to get air raid shelter provision for horses see his journal entries for 10th July 1940 and 21st July 1940.

No comments: