29th August 1940

Took Molly back to Blake’s at 8 o’clock this morning. (I had meant to go at 7, but of course overslept). Maura Benham most kindly came over with me, thus relieving a most tedious journey. I rode the cob, just to show I could. When I got there Blake’s horseman admitted that they had had a lot of trouble with her, and that she was quite useless on a milk round. There were a lot of Germans over tonight about 10 o’clock, so I went up on the Castle to await an alarm. There was a bright light showing through a window at the Hippodrome, so I reported it at the Police Station, but no action was taken. I waited until 11 o’clock, but no sirens sounded, so I went home. Windy and cold. 
For more detail on events in the Battle of Britain for 29th August 1940 see the Battle of Britain Diary Day by Day and the Battle of Britain Memorial website. CP

No comments: