30th April 1944

Sunday
Lovely warm summer day.  The Boxted orchards are a wonderful sight, a mass of blossom.  Cuckoos calling in the Plantation all morning. 

Went to Lawford this afternoon to tea at Sherbourne, as Joy had asked me.  At the top of Jupes Hill found Moorhouse and his little son trying to catch a pony.  He called to me to help, and by a simple stratagem I was able to catch the pony at once.  Everybody very pleased.

Lovely tea at Sherbourne Mill.  Was shown the new calves and the new petrol driven grinding mill which has been put in the basement of the old mill building.  Most useful.  Bought 6 eggs for Father, then left to call at Dedham.  Jack Penton was at Sissons, and we all sat in the garden for an hour.  Major Inde called, and a Sergt. Merrill of the US Army, whom Sisson had met in the “Sun”.  He was most amusing, Mrs Sisson asked what he was, and he replied “Technical Sergeant Merrill, but just call me Phil!”  She said “Will you have a cigarette, - Sergeant?” and he answered “Well, if it’s all the same to you ma’am, I’ll just light up my pipe.  You see I’m practically British!”  I had to look away or I should have laughed.
 
Left at 10, and cycled to Boxted in the cool quiet evening.  Not a ‘plane in the sky, but enormous bombers began to go over between 10.30 and 11, under the clear moon.  Nightingales singing everywhere.

No comments: