25th April 1944

Tuesday
Colder, with a N.E. wind, cloudy at times.  ‘Planes streaming over the house soon after 8, bombs hanging below them.  

At the office found a telegram from Mary Hulbert – “Pony not required – Hulbert”.

Handed in at Shrewsbury at 3 o’clock yesterday.  Walker must have done it for her, and did not even bother to do it in the morning, although she works in the very building from which they are sent.  This is a bitter disappointment, and I can’t imagine what is behind it.  Am I to take it as a snub?  Or is it merely an ordinary telegram, condensed as economically as possible?  The one I sent cost 2/2.  When I left they were friendly as if 14 years had never passed, and I quite thought that they had been genuinely pleased to see me.  It seems that I am quite incapable of understanding the simplest thing in human relationships.

Heard today that a ‘plane crashed during the night at Langham, not far from Severalls Hall.  It was a Canadian bomber; coming back, and appears to have been shot down by a German, trailing it back from the Continent.  Several people heard it falling, and some say that they heard the sound of machine gunning.  The thing was smashed to pieces, and all the crew dead.  Parts of the engine fell near some of the aerodrome huts.  On Saturday last, an American ‘plane crashed near the “Shepherd & Dog” when taking off, but the pilot was not hurt and the bomb did not explode.

This morning saw Sier about Col. Round’s MSS, and he promised to look through them.  Then went to Proudfoot’s office and spoke about my release from the Castle shelters.  He ‘phoned the police, but there was no-one there who could help, so he said he would have to let me know.  
 
Took Daphne to tea, then to Holly Trees, and spent evening there, writing letters and talking to Poulter.  Boxted at 10.30.  Reading and writing.  Planes about, and heard guns in the distance about 1am, but there was no alarm.  London I suppose.  Bed at 1.30. 

No comments: