22nd February 1944

Tuesday
Woke up during the night from a deep sleep, and in a few minutes heard the sirens.  Curious that I should wake just at that moment.  Went outside.  Very cold, dim misty stars.  Nothing whatever happened, and no ‘planes could be heard.  The all-clear soon came, thin and wailing.

Got in early this morning, the roads covered with ice.  Horses in Colchester all with ice-nails.  Called at home.  Father cannot stand this cold weather.  Hear that Miss Ralling is worse, and is now in bed.  I am afraid she is very bad.

Thousands of ‘planes were going over all morning, high above the snow-clouds, with a continual roar, vibrating the windows.  The brothel was very busy today, Americans going in and out continually.  I hear that these places are under the supervision of the American Red Cross.  Don't know whether this is true, but should not be surprised.

Collected the key of the Layer house today, and shall see it tomorrow.

Had a letter today from Godfrey of the National Buildings Record, enclosing a cheque for 20 guineas. This is the first time in my life that anybody has paid me so much for doing so little.  The money is very welcome and strengthens my idea to go away somewhere, though I must remember that there will be considerable expenses when I leave this cottage.

Heard today that during the Friday-Saturday raid an A.A. shell fell in the middle of the Wigborough Road, just outside the Women's Land Army Hostel, damaging some of the girls’ cycles and the yard gate, but hurting no one.

No comments: