27th July 1942

Monday
Awakened by a tremendous downpour of rain about 6 o’clock.  While I was shaving I heard sirens blaring, mournful and awesome in the rain, and in a few minutes a plane came over, hidden by drifting clouds but apparently quite low.  I could hear guns firing in the distance.  A few minutes later another came over, and a third as I was harnessing Robin.  The guns at Bromley opened up, shells bursting quite near us, making Robin rear and plunge.  Strange how I did not feel alarmed, while on other much less dangerous occasions I have been terrified.

Drove away in torrential rain, which first eased off and then increased its violence.  My rugs were useless, and as I  went by the “Wooden Fender” I felt streams of water running down my legs, while “All Clear” sounded from Colchester.

Took Robin to the blacksmith, baited him there and went to breakfast.  Busy day at the office.  

The evening papers made a great thing out of raids by about two dozen planes in the rain this morning.  Apparently they went all over Eastern England and London, but did not cause much damage.

Called at Spring-gate Ardleigh on the way out and saw Molly Blomfield.  Her father is unfortunately ill.  I was distressed to hear that the Claytons are likely to lose their land, as the Tendring War Agricultural Committee have put in a claim for possession.  I fear he has neglected it a good deal.  He spends most of his time as an agent for Brooks’, Mistley.

When I got back to Lawford I found that Mrs. Parrington had moved all the furniture in my room, and had now given me a very useful bureau.  So kind of her.  

Little whispers are going round that the Russians will make a separate peace next month.  I don't think this is likely.

No comments: