5th January 1941

Did not lay very late. This afternoon went over to Dedham to Sissons' for tea. After tea, looking at Sisson's lovely 18th century travel books, Italy and Greece, and wondering how much damage has been done to Naples by the RAF. I stayed to supper, although I ought not to have done, and left at 9 o’clock on icy roads. There was an alarm on ever since about 7 o’clock. I told the Sissons about the job with Capt. Folkard, and they were quite pleased.

When I got to East Bridge I telephoned a message home (via Rallings) to say I would go straight to the Castle, which I did, relieving Harding at 10 o’clock, and finding that the stupid fool had opened our only tin of milk, kept for some emergency, to make himself a cup of tea.

“All Clear” sounded about half past eleven. More snow falling.

No comments: