9th May 1944

Tuesday
Another frost, for the third night running.  Disastrous.  Fine, and later quite hot.

This morning saw a captain and two corporals of the Royal Engineers examining the mine-ducts on North Bridge.

One of the Boxted smallholders stopped me at the bottom of Maidenburgh Street, and we had the following conversation:

Smallholder, jerking his thumb up towards High St: “You work along o’them, don't you?”
Me: “That’s right.”
Smallholder: Well, what do I do about string for my tomatoes?”

Translated, this means “Am I not right in believing that you are employed by the War Agricultural Committee?” and “How can I obtain the necessary permit to purchase string to tie up my tomatoes?”

Went into Holly Trees about 9, and talked to Poulter.  He gave me a long lecture on my future, and urged me at all costs never to give up the Museum until I get another and better job.  Disagreed with him completely.

Back to Boxted under the rising moon.  Stopped by a ‘special’ for having no lights.  A big flight of ‘planes went over, with bright red lights on their wings, heading for the Continent on their usual nightly trips of destruction.

2 comments:

Mogman said...

My dad often told of when he was a boy, he used the mine ducts as storage for contraband, such as scrumped apples. I wonder if the Royal Engineers had a find that day?

E J Rudsdale said...

Many thanks for sharing this story with us - what a fascinating thought that the Engineers might have found your father's hoard! Thanks and best wishes, CP