27th February 1944

Sunday
Slept warm and comfortable until 10.30, only waking twice during the night.  Sunny, with clouds, but still cold east wind.  Had breakfast by myself.  How good Joy is to me.  Stayed on for lunch, and felt very much better.  Heavy clouds came up, and there was some rain this afternoon.  Went down to Dedham, called at the “Sun” to make myself known.  Hope I shall be comfortable there.

Had tea at the café.  The old woman was very indignant about the 8th Army men who are now in the village and have been making a nuisance of themselves in the café on Sundays.  There is only one canteen for the troops and that is not open until 6 o’clock, so the men have no where to go but the pubs or the Corner Café.

The clouds drifted away, and I went back to Higham in the quiet of the evening.  There was a little mist, and a thin crescent moon hung over the cottage, with a plume of smoke drifting up from its chimney.  Not a sound to be heard.  Spent the evening packing up.

No planes about tonight (10.30pm) nor any about during the day.  Very curious, as the weather was mostly clear and fine. 

It is on my conscience that I do not see very much of Father.  Is he lonely?  I wonder.  Miss Payne is obviously an excellent housekeeper, but she would drive me mad if I had to live in the house for a single day.  Her tongue is never still for a month, and her conversation is such that requires constant replies.  Father, after nearly 40 years with Mother, is used to this sort of thing.  I wish I could get away to Wales and take Father with me, but I doubt if he could stand the journey.

No comments: