15th January 1943

Friday
More rain in night.  Felt very much better this morning, and had some food before I went.  Weather cloudy, but improving rapidly, and the sun soon came through.  A strange, empty, feeling at Holly Trees because Poulter is not there.  Nobody mentioned him.  This afternoon I phoned the Hospital, and was told that his condition was “satisfactory”, but that Dr. Rowland would phone me tomorrow.  Went home to tea early, and then all round trying to find hay.  Mr. Craig let me have a hundredweight bale, but that is all I have.

To Lawford by six, for high-tea.  About 7, Fisher came round to the back door to say there was an accident outside.  Joy ran to get cotton wool, and I went out with a lantern.  Near the railway arch were two men standing in the road, and on a the ground a young boy lying, supporting himself on one elbow, his face covered in blood.  A cycle and a cap were nearby.  Neither of the men had thought to move the boy, who had apparently been lying in a pool of water for half an hour.  One of them had gone so far as to fetch Fisher, who came to fetch us!  Had an army lorry come down the hill, as they so often do, the boy would have been killed.  Mr. Hooper and Fisher came along, so I said “better get him inside” which they did, half carrying, half dragging him.  Mrs. Hooper then washed his face with Dettol, and Joy phoned for a taxi to get him home to Stratford.  Everybody else stood round to watch.  Cookson’s taxi, was very soon at the door, the dogs all barking and great excitement.  The poor boy was led out, by now quite blinded with bandages, and put in the car, while his cycle was tied onto the running board.  Fisher went with them, in case the boy collapsed on the way.

Later I phoned the Sissons about Poulter.  Mrs. Sisson apparently knew what was going on.  I said I would ‘phone Dr Penry Rowland tomorrow, and would let her know what was happening.  Writing, and then to bed rather gloomy.

No comments: