6th December 1942

Sunday
Cloudy and windy.  Many planes went over this morning, and passed out to sea, invisible above the clouds.  Joy said she could hear machine guns, but I think it was the noise of their engines.  There was AA fire near Manningtree about the same time, but I think only practice.

High tea.  Fog coming up.  About 20 planes went out towards the sea soon after 6.  At half past cycled into Colchester, and heard planes coming back, so I expect they had been minelaying.

To the Holly Trees at half past 8.  Talked to Poulter until 10.30, when I went into the Castle.  Same old stuff, over and over again.  He tells me Hull does not come in now for as much as 4 days at a time, and when he is there never stays for more than half a day.

Very dark tonight, stars glittering sharply, and a smell of frost in the air.  Hope it is a fine day tomorrow.

No comments: