7th October 1940

Quiet night last night. No planes at all. [Christopher] Hawkes [the archaeologist] came down from London today. He is now at the Ministry of Aircraft Production, and tells me that the making of planes is going on very well indeed. He also said that in the near future a lot of night-fighters would be in use, but this I will never believe until I see them. The British Museum has had a bomb in the Courtyard, and another at the N. entrance, but no real damage was done. The Tate Gallery has been unroofed, and there has been a serious fire at the Natural History Museum, but apart from that London Museums seem to have escaped so far.

Today I went to see Hervey, and had a chat about our prospects. He does not believe that the Museum will be shut, and does not think there will be any alteration of our reserved age before the spring, all of which I hope is true. An alarm tonight about 10 o’clock, but nothing happened.

Fine day, warm. I shall see W.G Benham as soon as I can, - suggest indefinite leave so that I can do farming, but if I get a farming job I shall resign and draw out my pension money.

No comments: